Saturday, April 15, 2017

Library Ruminations

It occurred to me recently that although I work right across the street from a public library, I hadn't yet gone and checked it out (it's been nine and a half months - time really flies!).  I went online and discovered that if i went in in person to fill out the application, there would be a fifteen day delay before I received a card and could borrow anything, but there wouldn't be any delay if I went online and filled the exact same application.  I have no idea how works logically.

I filled it out online, and then realized afterwards that I would have to show them an ID that had my current address on it.  Fun fact: when you're moving around from place to place every couple of years and don't actually own your own place (or have some sort of long-term lease), your driver's license will not have your current address.  There's also no point in hand-writing your current address, because I don't know when or where I'll move next.  I ended up showing the librarian the address on my personal checks (which only just happened to have been recently ordered, and as such had my current address on them).

I hadn't planned on borrowing anything; I was just going to see what type of books they had.  Naturally, half an hour later, I walked out with an audio recording of  'The Cat Who Went Bananas' by Lilian Jackson Braun.  They're mystery stories mixed with 'day in the life', and fairly relaxed.

I've thought about turning Glimpses (https://goo.gl/YzhABm, or the side bar) into audio version, with myself as the narrator, but it's been awhile (years, actually) since I listened to an audio book.  I looked into what it would cost to pay someone else, and at a minimum, $100.  I can't really justify that for a small collection of short stories.  But doing it myself should be fun, even if it takes a long time.

No comments:

Post a Comment