Wednesday, September 1, 2010

School stuff

Whoo, was the last time I was on here really the last day of school? Seems like it's been longer. I'd thought I'd momentarily celebrate getting all the classes I wanted (whee!) and have a moment about driving down to Valencia 4 days a week (bummer ;(... that's a teardrop, btw).

I'm taking two computer science classes - C and Java - an acting class - solo performance - and a history class - women in american history.

I have to admit that I had mixed feelings about that history class. I'm not a feminist, I'm not particularly into 'girl power' and whatever else is going on (I do have a physics degree, I intend to have a career, and I'm not looking to marry. But that's it.). Oddly enough, though I've got a male teaching the class, and not only does he have a sense of humor, he simply says what people have done (or not done) throughout history, and encourages us to think about it. Like about how the American Indians had slaves, and sold them to the Europeans, and the same in Africa - no one's blameless. I like that viewpoint on history - just stating the facts, sorting out who did what, and then - only then - considering the 'why'. Apparently he had to try out several different times and places to be able to teach women's history - the women interviewing him had a hard time imagining a male teaching that. (But, then, they'll teach men's history - how's that for sexism?)

No comments:

Post a Comment